Tuesday, June 2, 2015

704-715 Pond Poems: For Alley Pond Park and a Childhood Remembered

In Alley Pond Park
there was a pretty large pond
we used for Tashlich

We'd hang out and talk
throw our bread in the water
then eat honey cake

Prayers took the back seat
to the walking and talking
in the open park

I grew up next door
to the park named Alley Pond
Quite a silver lining

The park was alive
The pond had ripples, she waved
Till she disappeared

The pond was stagnant
then it got so small it died.
Once it was a world.

Years later I went
and found that park by my house-
like a museum

Once we tried fishing -
a friend and I at the pond...
The fish ignored us

One day in summer
I sat in the park's outskirts
pondering Rav Kook

It confused me that
there was never an alley
in Alley Pond Park

(At Alley Pond Park
I sat and talked with a bear-
He was a ponda)

Please check out these poems on song, also inspired, like these, by Haiku Horizons. I am profoundly grateful to the purveyor of this website.

3 comments:

  1. Charming story with an even more delightful last line. I could see taschlich there! I guess you know you had a pretty special childhood. Thanks for sharing, RN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful! such a lovely story told in haiku series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are delightful each individually and all read together.

    ReplyDelete