Monday, December 4, 2017

The things we don't know
about ourselves are sometimes
things all others see

In a rare move I want to write some background about this one.  I remember reading somewhere once in the name of CS Lewis that people spend years going to therapists to learn things that someone who met them for 5 minutes could tell them.  The question is if it would be heard.  Then the question is if it should be told. A process may be needed until the person can be made to hear or see something of themselves they prefer not to hear or see. Sometimes those things are clear to a few people, sometimes just to close friends, sometimes to anyone who meets the person for a few minutes, and yet the person doesn't know.  Sometimes the person knows and doesn't, suspects, but doesn't want to face it, pushes the truth away. Something happened recently - someone told me that something about me really bothers them and I must know about it and it must get in the way of my close relationships. It was uncomfortable for me to hear.  I didn't like the phrasing of the idea or the idea itself. Much more to say about this, but "I've said too much, but not enough..."

No comments:

Post a Comment